October 15, 2012

Rusty and Weathered

Ever since I had heard about the Erosion Bundle Project back in 2010, it was on my to-do list to bundle up some fabrics, laces and metal pieces to be corroded by the elements while hanging outside. It had rained for several days in April,when I looked through my stash, gathered some things, tied up a package and hung it from the balcony. I was hoping for some more rain now and then but except for one tiny rain shower that lasted about 10 minutes, we didn’t see any water coming down from above for the next 5 months. So you might like to consider this idea if you want to have permanent sunshine, lol. After a few weeks dear hubby felt sorry for me and started watering my bundle. However, due to the warm weather it always dried up too fast and there was no impact. Then I got the idea to hang it underneath the drain of our A/C. There it would get constantly irrigated during the day. I opened my bundle 2 months later and that had worked out very well. The fabrics had rusty stains from the metal pieces as well as mildew stains from a couple of fern leaves I had added to the package. Some fabrics were wonderfully eroded. The smell was pretty ugly though but I got rid of that by soaking everything in a mixture of vinegar and baking soda for some hours and then washing by hand carefully.

This is the quilt I created, using the fabrics, laces and metal pieces of my erosion bundle.

Art Quilt

To accent the holes, I used a black woolen material as background that had not been part of the bundle.

Rusty Details

Rusty Details

Lace with rusty washer 

Quilt Detail 

Artquilt Detail

Silk Rose

You might think that this creation was outside the box for me but it didn’t feel like that at all. Everything fell into place easily, like I had done it a lot of times before. With my next erosion bundle I’ll wait a little bit because for now I enjoy some rainy days after the long hot summer and don’t want to drive the rain away ;-).

Have a happy week!

Hugs,

Julia

October 08, 2012

A Family Picture – Maybe Just a Little Bit Creepy

I hadn’t planned to create any Halloween decoration this year, but when I saw this month’s challenge image at Mind Wide Open, I just had to. I loved the image that Gail had provided and it just screamed “Halloween” to me.

For a little creepy look I gave the  family members enlarged heads and exchanged most of them among each other.  I sewed a spider web right onto the printed picture, stamped on some images, draw with a fine liner some details here and there and added some text and embellishments. The silver plated tray was the perfect frame for the “Abbott Family”.  If this is your family name, please don’t be offended. The name came up by accident when I looked through some images. I took it from a vintage add just because I liked it.

Halloween

Halloween

Halloween 

Halloween 

Halloween

The tray was tarnished already but not in a pretty way. With a bit of black patina solution I got the look I wanted.

Halloween

Please head over to Gail at Mind Wide Open to look at the other entries and vote for your favorite creation. Thank you, Gail for hosting the challenge! I’ve had lots of fun.

Have a great week, dear friends!

HUGS,

Julia